Adding a tab to a facebook page.
Ever get stuck trying to add a tab to a facebook page?
Make sure you do the following:
- Make sure you are logged in to facebook as your username and not a page.
- Have you already created your page? If not, do so here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php … remember a page is a unique destination that can link to multiple facebook tabs & apps as well as iframes to your existing website.
- You can manage your pages after you have edited them by clicking on their unique page url and clicking Manage > Edit Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or simply going to https://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/
- Next you must create your tab… also called an APP. Do that here: https://developers.facebook.com/apps/
- Next, go to the section called Select how your app integrates with Facebook and make sure you check both the App on Facebook section and the Page Tab section.
- Once you have created your Tab or App, you can tell facebook to link the tab to your app by constructing a url like this: https://www.facebook.com/dialog/pagetab?app_id=YOUR_APP_ID&next=YOUR_URL (Note this data is on the facebook pagetabs page.
- Note that to do add your url properly in the YOUR_URL spot above, you will need to encode it for the web. Here is a good resource to encode a url. Remember to ENCODE, not decode.
- When you format this link properly it will bring up the following Add to Page dialogue:
- This last step should let you link your tab to whatever pages you have access to. If it doesn’t seem to work check #5 above.
Great… you should be done now.
For your reference, facebook links within this post are: